Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I had to mention this one because it's just so funny. My dad has recently become very concerned and interested in my future with Roger, a couple of days ago he asked
"Is he a chicken or a pig?"
At first I was shocked and couldn't believe that my dad wanted me to place R in one of the categories as though it was just a black and white subject with no in between or "it's complicated."
He started to explain that it really was that simple and this can be applied to most aspects in life. It's helping me understand why I succeed at some things and not at others, and why sometimes I feel more of a sense of pride in failures than I do in successes. It’s all about commitment. It’s about doing the best you can whatever the circumstances. It’s about leaving it all out on the battlefield, playing field, crop field, field of dreams, etc. In the past, I had often confused my involvement with things and people with a commitment to them. But Dad’s insight let me know the difference. He said:
“The difference between commitment and involvement is like a ham and egg breakfast. The chicken was involved, but the pig was committed.”

For some of you, I have to ask you to look past your hatred of all things swine-related to see the analogy. Many people believe they are committed to something or someone because of intense or long-term involvement or feeeling. But just like this analogy, they have the ability to walk away from the situation. The chicken can stay up all night giving eggs, and give the best eggs anyone has ever eaten… but it can walk out of the house the same way it walked in. The pig, on the other hand, sacrificed everything it had to make the breakfast work. Even if the pig was still alive, it’s commitment to making breakfast work would have meant it could have walked away… but it would never have been the same. It sacrificed past the level of it’s own comfort.

In my confused state this week, I told Roger about the conversation i had with my dad and that it's basically a southern traditionalists way of asking "what are your intentions for my daughter?".
As soon as I told R, I wanted to take it back fearing that it was too much to put on the table.
Much to my relief, he told me exactly what his plans are and now every once in a while he does a little snorting sound for me.


This one is so cool!

No comments: